For our professional learning outline, Ryan, Erin, and I weren’t focused on using effective professional learning to implement learning ePortfolios. In this outline, we describe how we will use the PL principles to introduce and integrate our ePortfolio initiative.
We decided to use a BHAG and 3 column table for planning all sessions. We also use abbreviations to identify where specific PL principles are applied. A key identifying these principles and their abbreviations can be found below.
You can see how sessions will be outline next year with a smaller group of teachers: 2 per department. Then we describe how we will move forward with implementing learning ePortfolios throughout the school.
KP 1: The duration of professional learning must be significant and ongoing to allow time for teachers to learn a new strategy and grapple with the implementation problem.
KP 2: There must be support for a teacher during the implementation stage that addresses the specific challenges of changing classroom practice.
KP 3: Teachers’ initial exposure to a concept should not be passive, but rather should engage teachers through varied approaches so they can participate actively in making sense of a new practice.
KP 4: Modelling has been found to be highly effective in helping teachers understand a new practice.
KP 5: The content presented to teachers shouldn’t be generic, but instead specific to the discipline (for middle school and high school teachers) or grade-level (for elementary school teachers).
Learning ePortfolios PL Outline
- Receive official approval from administration for next year’s PL on ePortoflio
- Approval is two parts:
- approval to use next year’s allotted PD and FLEX time to work with lead teachers
- approval to begin the new PL model in Fall 2017
- We will achieve these approvals by
Fall 2017-Spring 2018
- Add two teachers from each department to our lead/expert team (KP2)
- During each allotted PL time (9 total- one per month), we work with the lead teachers on progressively implementing ePortfolios in their classrooms. We will use the UbD template to guide these meetings (KP1, KP3, KP4)
- By the end of the year, lead teachers will feel confident in their ePortfolio knowledge and use (KP5)
- Request FLEX time for next year’s PL sessions to plan with lead teachers for full school integration (KP1)
Fall 2018-Spring 2019
- During PL sessions (9 total- 1 per month), expert teachers will work in individual departments to collaborate with them on ePortfolio implementation in the classroom. We will use the UbD template to guide these meetings (KP1, KP2, KP3, KP4, KP5)
- Administration, Ryan, Kelly, and Erin will visit each PL session as lead experts to answer questions and work with all departments (KP2)
- Full implementation in all classrooms with continued PL sessions for support and collaboration for progressive growth in ePortoflio use (KP1, KP2)